Goal of the Frisco 1351 Project
To stabilize the exterior deterioration of steam locomotive Frisco 1351 in order to complete a cosmetic restoration of the steam engine for a two-fold purpose: to enhance the attractiveness of Town Square for community members and tourists alike, and to preserve and promote Collierville’s railroad history. Pick a brochure on Collierville's railroad history at the Museum's front desk or trains on Town Square.
Limited Edition Frisco tshirts for a $10 donation to the project (youth and adult sizes available). Please contact the Museum for more information, 901-457-2650.
You can also help raise money for the restoration by purchasing a signed and numbered print of an original piece of art (pictured) depicting the Frisco 1351. The original painting was created by Collierville artist, Evelina Dillon. Small prints are $100 and large prints are $250. Cash or check.
January - February 2016: Sampling of asbestos and lead on the 1351 Steam Locomotive in Collierville. Click here to view report provided by Gary Siebenschuh, G7. Environmental Services, Inc. Status: Click here for sample analysis report, 2/15/2016.
March 2016: Committee members are investigating running electricity to the train, so lighting can be installed, and restoring and replacing the bell. There was also discussion of scheduling the asbestos abatement and plans for repainting the train.
April 2016: Committee members reviewed quotes for lead paint removal and painting, as well as interpretative sign to be placed at the train. The committee decided to have a table during Fair on the Square to raise awareness about the project and sale t-shirts.
May 2016: Committee members are preparing the specifications for a proposal to bid out the lead paint removal and base coat primer. Committee also discussed the possibility of volunteers moving forward on refurbishments of small pieces of the engine (i.e., knobs, signs, seats, light, etc.). Next meeting scheduled for July 21, 2016.
August 2016: Committee members held a productive Frisco 1351 vision and strategic planning session. The next meeting is scheduled for September 9th at 8:30am in Town Hall. The committee will outline parts of the project that volunteers can work on, including processes for proper documentation, scope of work, and responsibilities.
December 2016: The 1351 number plate was removed and restored. It is currently on exhibit at the Morton Museum. View before and after images below.
February 2017: The process of repainting the caboose is underway. Due to the long-range timeline of the project the committee is not meeting monthly at this time, but the project is still in progress.
Summer 2017: The Locomotive was striped and primed. The tender has been repainted.
August 2017: The bell was removed and restored. It is currently on exhibit at the Morton Museum. The headlamp has also been removed and in the process of being restored.
Coming Soon: Watch John McKenney's lecture, "History and Mechanics of Steam Locomotive Frisco 1351," presented at the Morton Museum on March 24, 2016. Learn more about Tennessee's railroad history here.
Did you know?
After No. 1351 was retired in 1952, it spent many years at the Memphis Fairground and the Defense Depot. The engine was moved by the Memphis Transportation Museum from its position inside the entrance of Libertyland to the Southern Railway tracks, south of the Mid-South Coliseum via a little trackmobile and the "leap frogging" of track sets around the Women's Building, Pipkin Building, down Early Maxwell Blvd, across Southern Avenue to the Forrest Yards tracks. Below are photos showing the engine being moved in July 1983.